Digital marketing can seem overwhelming to new business owners. We’re going to be going over just how important digital marketing is to the success of a business and also different types of digital marketing. Many of these tasks can be carried out by digital marketing agencies and can be quite complex. Some people spend their whole careers specialising in just one aspect of digital marketing so sometimes you can find specialists.
Digital Marketing: What is it?
At its most basic and simple form, digital marketing is simply any marketing that takes place online. If you advertise your business on social media, have a blog or a monthly newsletter, you’re already a digital marketer.
Benefits of digital marketing:
There are so many benefits to digital marketing that it would be near impossible to list them all, but we’re going to try! When starting on your marketing journey, it can be difficult to justify the effort and time some marketing tasks take, but rest assured, you’re much better off for having done them.
Reach a wide audience
- One of the biggest benefits of digital management is how wide of an audience you can reach. Facebook alone has over 1 billions daily users, and while you probably won’t be reaching all 1 billion (we can only dream), you can definitely get a large slice of the pie.
- This is especially helpful to those of you who are just starting out in digital marketing or those of you who are located in small towns/villages and need a way to make people aware of your brand.
- With a wider audience reach comes the very high possibility of high sales. After all, how are people going to buy your product if they don’t know your business exists? It’s very easy for you to track your sales figures before marketing and after marketing. See for yourself how well it works.
Cheaper than traditional marketing
- The majority of the time when we say we’re in marketing, people assume we’re like MadMen. Coming up with beautiful, story driven concepts to get our customers to feel like they need our clients products which will be seen on billboards across the country. This is rarely the case. For most small businesses, traditional marketing such as billboards, radio/tv adverts, flyers, newspaper adverts etc is simply too expensive.
- Digital marketing is wonderful for being able to get great results at relatively low cost. You can also reach a wider audience than a billboard can.
Target a specific audience
- As well as being cheaper than traditional marketing, digital marketing makes it easier for you to target your audience. Your target audience is who will be buying your product so who you need to target with your marketing.
Different types of Digital Marketing
SEO – Search Engine Optimization
- SEO is the process of getting your website ranked high on Google and other search engines. There are digital marketing agencies that specialise just in SEO and other search engine marketing tactics such as PPC (pay per click advertising).
- There are many ways that a firm can get you ranked such as:
- Technical SEO – This is where they will go through your website and make sure you’re hitting enough keywords for Google to rank you. Your website may also need a redesign to make sure there are no broken links or pages which can damage your Google rank.
- As part of this digital marketers will also make sure that all content on your website is indexed. This allows search engines to ‘read’ your site and rank you accurately.
- Content Creation – Google wants you to show them that you’re essentially an expert in your field. They want to know that the best websites are at the top of the page (where most people click) so their users are getting the best value. Blogs are a great way of demonstrating knowledge to Google and other search engines. Most SEO specialists will offer this service as it really is a great way to prove topical relevance to search engines.
PPC (Pay Per Click)
- When you search something in Google, the first results, at the top of the page, will usually be advertisements. These are pay per click ads.
- Marketers run them as a great way to push a website or landing page up to the top results on Google. It’s called pay per click because the search engine will charge the business every time the ad is clicked.
- The cost of the click will depend on how competitive it is. Wordstream found that words such as ‘Business Services’ and ‘Lawyer’ can run between $54 and $58. But for localized or more obscure words, you can be looking as low as $1 – $2.
- PPC campaigns can get very technical. You need a great and relevant landing page to keep users engaged once they’re on the site as well as a strategy to actually get your ad to the top. You need to know what words to target to bring in your target audience, you’ll need to be able to calculate your CPC (cost per click) and your CPA (cost per acquisition) and tailor your ads accordingly.
Social Media Marketing
- This is one of the tasks that you can do for yourself, but there is still a lot to learn. Social media marketing is also very time consuming which is a major disadvantage to busy business owners.
- Social media marketing is pretty much self explanatory. It’s what you post on social media such as Facebook, Instagram, TikTok etc to promote your business.
- To be effective you’ll need to know who your target audience is, what platforms they use and what content will keep them engaged and provide the most value to them. Consistency is key in social media marketing so you’ll need to post at least 3+ times a week to grow. You’ll also need to know what times to post and what times your target audience is most active.
- If you’re looking to post on platforms such as Instagram and Pinterest, you’ll need to create an aesthetic and keep your posts in a consistent style.
- But social media is an amazing, and free way to promote your business, it’s worth the effort. TikTok and Facebook have over 1 billion daily users each with Instagram not far behind. It’s a great way for you to connect with your audience and clients and can be a great way to provide new clients with social proof.
- A good email marketing campaign will provide value to the audience on the list and convince them to buy your product or use your service. Email marketing’s success is usually measured on its click through rate (CTR – the amount of people who click onto the site/landing page through the email) and the amount of people who open the email.
- As part of email marketing, you may need to adjust your site to have the relevant links and a popup message telling people to subscribe to your list. You can promote it on social media but it’s important to keep in mind the value your email marketing will provide your audience. Will they receive bonus offers that won’t be found elsewhere, will there be previews and snippets etc.? Because you’re sending a marketing message directly to the audience’s inbox, they want to make sure it’s worth their time and not just spam.
Digital marketing is a huge industry and what we’ve listed is just the tip of the iceberg. If you’re ready to level up your business, get in touch today!